I’m proudly present a new release of a project, that I’ve developed at the cip-labs. It’s named Theta8. This smart web application analyzes the response of a given URL and collects some data about it. It gives advices, tricks and tipps for the frontend optimization. Below, I will explain some functionality in more details:
How was it built?
Theta8 includes some PHP code and also some lines of C code. The core was programmed in PHP, but some functionalities (e.g. network operations, calculations on data) were outsourced to faster C. This has more advantages, but the main reason was, to speed it up. The programming paradigm is simple OOP. At the moment, I’m testing a lot, to bring more speed into Theta8. Consider, that requesting links and resources are a lot of load on the network site. This is the bottleneck in this case.
Below, I listed the features, that are currently implemented:
- analyze metatags and make suggestions
- detect CSS classes
- request links and resources (e.g. headers, mime-types, dead link detection)
- analyze caching, minification, merging and compression
- tips for spreading hosts
At the moment, I deal with some features, that I want to develop for this project. Here are some key points:
- Speeding up the analysis
- Improve the accuracy of information
- Better CSS class feature
- Usability testing tool
- Online compression checker
The theta8 project was inspired by the knowledge and passion that I put in the topic of web application performance. This topic is really interesting and I did some research during the last 4 years. I worked for a few companies to improve the performance of their applications. Originally, one of these companies want to buy the project (Theta8), to monetize it. I rejected this offer and decided to continue the work on this project.